We are PACRA
The Work | The TeamThe Vision
The Patents and Companies Registration Agency (PACRA) is a statutory body under the Ministry of Commerce, Trade and Industry. PACRA (hereinafter also referred to as ‘the Agency’) was established under the Patents and Companies Registration Agency Act No. 15 of 2010, whose existence has continued under the new Patents and Companies Registration Agency Act No. 4 of 2020. The principal mandate of PACRA is to provide Business Registration and Intellectual Property protection services. While only being a few years old, the Agency confers Intellectual Property Rights and serves as a legal repository for Business Registration and Intellectual Property information.
Functions of the Agency
- Administer the Companies Act, the Corporate Insolvency Act, the Registration of Business Names Act, the Patents Act, the Trademarks Act, the Industrial Designs Act, the Companies (Certificates Validation) Act, The Movable Property (Security Interest) Act, The Protection of Traditional Knowledge, Genetic Resources and Expressions of Folklore Act, the Copyright and Performance Rights Act and the Layout Designs of Integrated Circuits Act.
- Receive and investigate complaints of alleged or suspected breach of the Acts referred to in paragraph (a) and subject to the directives of the Director of Public Prosecutions, prosecute offences under those Acts, as the case may be.
- Collect, collate and disseminate information on the law relating to the Acts referred to in paragraph (a);
- Advise Government on all matters pertaining to the Acts referred to in paragraph (a); and
- Do all such other things as are necessary or incidental to the performance of its functions under the Patents and Companies Registration Agency Act, No. 4 of 2020.
What really matters to us
Each one of us here at PACRA are unique and bring our own dimension of our lives to the table, to make us all a beautiful family of diverse personalities. We still, however, share some views by which we all identify as part of the PACRA family.
- Integrity We pledge to be honest, trustworthy and ethical in all our actions.
- Excellence We will provide high quality service to our customers.
- Accountability We will accept responsibility for our own actions and omissions.
- Transparency We will be honest and open in the execution of our mandate.
- Creativity We will embrace and nurture new and progressive ideas in offering our services.
- Courtesy We will be polite and respectful to our clients.
- An innovative customer-centred business and intellectual property registration Agency.
- To provide business and intellectual property registration services for economic growth and National development.
With over 150 staff, we could talk about our team all day! But here are a few people you should definitely know about.
Monday - Friday: 08:00 - 17:00
Weekends and Public Holidays: CLOSED