The registration of Business Names is governed by The Registration of Business Names Act No. 16 of 2011. Click here to view the Act.
A Registered Business Name or Firm is an association of one or more individuals or corporations that have entered into partnership with one another for the purpose of carrying on business for profit. A Business Name or Commercial name, as it is sometimes referred to, is a designation which identifies an enterprise.
Business Names should be registered in order to be protected as a trade name of one enterprise or firm may not be used by another. A name or designation similar to another trade name, if likely to mislead the public, may not be used by another enterprise.
The Registration of Business Names Act No. 16 of 2011 requires that:
“Every firm that has a place of business in Zambia and carrying on business which does not consist of the true surnames of all partners who are individuals and the corporate names of all partners who are corporations without any addition other than the true Christian name of individual partners or initials of such names" and
“An individual who has a place of business and carries on business under a name other than his true surname must register his business name and other particulars with the Registrar of Business Names as provided for by the Act.”
Benefits of registering a Business Name
1. Registration of a business gives it legal status.
2. It gives the owner exclusive rights to personally use the business name
3. It enables one to enjoy the pride of being an honest Zambian or foreign business undertaker
4. It gives one the right to enter with confidence into the competitive business arena using the business name
5. Registration of the business affords one the chance to contribute to national economic development and prosperity
Click below, on how to register a Business Name